Thursday, March 26, 2009

A horny little critter

horned toad

reptilealso called horned lizard

We found this little guy,(maybe gal) in the flower bed the other day.
i don't know if he the same one we caught last year, but since we've lived her
we catch one somewhere on the property every year.
seem like one year their small then grow with each year,
then we find small ones.
I LIKE BECAUSE THEY
EAT ANTS...


NOW THE SCIENCE PART..
(genus Phrynosoma), any of about 14 species of lizards belonging to the family Iguanidae that are usually characterized by daggerlike head spines, or horns; a flattened oval body, pointed fringe scales along the sides of the body, and a short tail are typical features. The lizards range in length from less than 7.5 to more than 12.5 cm (3 to 5 inches).

4 comments:

sandyseashells said...

I like "horny toads". I like I how they flatten out when you pet them.
The plane-looks Russian? Ask Pat.

In the wine country said...

it's plane..

p-38

Trish said...

That is cool! You should catch one when we are there!

Jen said...

I remember seeing them up my dad's dirt road in Queen Creek as a child. I used to catch lizards but I wouldn't touch those guys. They scared me.